Goals of the Competition:
- To engage youth and young adults in designing prevention messaging that will impact them
- To raise community awareness of ALO Prevention Program efforts
- To obtain high-quality prevention materials that can be made into posters and public service announcements to be used to raise community awareness of the harms of substance use/abuse, highlight positive alternatives to substance use, and shape community attitudes towards substance use
The Competition is open to students attending local middle schools, high schools and colleges located within or near (<15 miles) the boundaries of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Students will enter the appropriate category for their age group.
How Do I Enter?
- Create a 22 x 28 poster (middle school) or 60-second public service announcement (high school or college) that promotes healthy choices and helps ALO meet its goals to reduce substance use and its harms on the Reservation. Materials can focus on one or multiple substances, and can either convey the dangers of substance use or promote healthy alternatives to substance use. Additional sample topics are included in the Competition Rules.
- Review the complete Competition Rules and be sure your entry follows all guidelines.
- Complete your Entry Form and include it with your entry.
- Include a Media Release form (for adults and/or youth) for entrant and each person appearing in your entry.
- Bring your posters to your school office for middle school entries. ALO will pick up these entries, if notified. High school and college entries must be mailed to 7Gens in Rapid City. Address is in the Competition Rules under “3. How to Enter.”
Official winners will be selected in each category. Additionally, community votes, views, and comments will all be tallied to determine winners of other prizes. A total of $2000 in cash and prizes will be given away, with the top winner in the college category taking the grand prize of $300. A breakdown of all prizes appears below:
Category 1: Middle school (Grades 6-8): Poster contest
- 1st Place Grand Prize: Bike + Pizza Party for classroom of student’s choice
- Runner Up: Bike
- Viewers' Choice 1st Place: $50 gift card
- Viewers' Choice Runner Up: $25 gift card
- 1st Place Grand Prize: $200 cash
- Runner Up: $100 cash
- Viewers' Choice 1st Place: $125 cash
- Viewers' Choice Runner Up: $75 cash
- Most Viral: $50 cash
- “Talk of the Town” (Most Comments): $50 cash
- 1st Place Grand Prize: $300 cash
- Runner Up: $200 cash
- Viewers' Choice 1st Place: $225 cash
- Viewers' Choice Runner Up: $125 cash
- Most Viral: $75 cash
- “Talk of the Town” (Most Comments): $75 cash
Members of ALO’s Prevention Coalition will score all entries on the following:
- Overall Impact
Winners of the Viewers' Choice prizes will be selected based upon community votes. Voting period will be open from April 15 to May 15. Winners of the Most Viral and “Talk of the Town” prizes will be selected based upon the number of views and comments on the official YouTube channel as of May 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM.